DEPARTMENT: DESIGN AND BUILD
Responsible To/Supervision: GENERAL MANAGER: D&B Project Execution
Responsible For/Supervision Exercised: Project Personnel and Lead Engineer
Status: PERMANENT CONTRACT
Manage the complete running of the project to ensure a technically successful project within time, quality and budget requirements.
Manage and execute projects as per the Company’s and Client’s requirements
The PM shall act as a strong leader with regards to all external parties (Client, Consultant, JV partners, Subcons and suppliers) and internally (lead the project team):
– He shall drive the project: the PM must make sure decisions are made and no issue is left unattended. When something is decided, that it is implemented.
– He shall consolidate the project team position towards external parties such as client and subcon/suppliers with regards to progress and planning, risk and mitigations and contractually.
– He shall ensure that information from the various departments is properly made available to the various players of the team
Meet financial targets (turnover and margin). In that respect he is accountable for the result of the project and meeting the schedule deadlines. He shall promote planning opportunities and financial improvements
Be responsible for defining and implementing contractual strategies with the aim of protecting the Company position
Apply the Company SHE Policy to all aspects of the Project.
Apply the Company Quality Policy to all aspects of the Project.
- Approve purchase orders and issue instructions to supplier/subcontractor in accordance with Company delegated Authority limits.
- Delegate work to members of site construction and sub-contractors.
- Carry out obligations that may be assigned to you under legal appointments such as OSHA.
- Initiate project kick-off
- Set project strategy, Project Execution Plan, procedures, control systems, co-ordination mechanisms, SHEQ plans, and budget objectives.
- Manage project team members, coordinate work of project team (Lead Engineer, procurement engineer, site manager, etc)
- Identify and take necessary corrective action to achieve project objectives.
- Management of Client Contract.
- Manage the interface with Clients, and obtain all necessary Client and statutory approvals.
- Control of project budget and schedule.
- Manage external resources, subcontracts and suppliers.
- Optimise project contribution and success by minimising risk and maximising profit.
- Optimise project cash flow.
- Prepare monthly reports.
- Ensure that the technical project scope and quality requirements are clearly defined and adhered to by design staff, vendors and construction staff.
- Management and reporting of project risks (insurances, bonds, etc.). Accept any legal delegation of authorities such as OSHA where appropriate to your skills.
- Close out project and manage the preparation of the project closeout report and prepare documentation for archiving.
- Input to marketing of projects.
- Completion of the project to meet all of the following criteria:
- Full compliance with the Company and statutory safety requirements.
- Compliance with technical/quality requirements as defined by Engineering
- Finished on schedule
- Cost within budget
- 17. Any other duties as instructed by the General Manager Projects.
REQUIRED COMPETENCE AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS:
- National Diploma in an Engineering field (Mechanical/Electrical, Industrial or Water) at a recognised institution or assessed equivalent competence.
- Minimum eight years’ experience in Project Management of water and/or waste water treatment contracts (waste water plants advantageous) or energy sector.
- Civils/Mechanical/Electrical experience an advantage.
- Experience in design & build projects.
- New engineering contract experience and/or FIDIC.
- Good communication and organisational skills.
- Excellent administrative skills (e.g. report writing)
- Financial acumen as it relates to projects
- Computer literacy essential (MS Office & MS Projects)
You will be required to perform your duties at the Modderfontein offices of the client or any other place, essential to the successful completion of the project.
Projects site spread over Southern Africa.